Skip to main content

To Mothers, Fathers & Daughters Struggling with Hair Issues

Picture this scene morning after morning: Two beautiful sisters, ages 6 and 11, in the bathroom screaming mad because I can't get their hair to lay flat, crying when I try to get the terrible tangles out of their hair, and mad because I always seem to put their hair in the same "poof ball" hairstyle. Basically summing this up--all their lives everyday has been a bad hair day! As young girls wanting to be in style, fit in, feel good about themselves, and dealing with peer pressure, imagine their personal hair struggle everyday.

Well, that's about to change! We have discovered Nadine's Beauty World. She is our "new best friend." I know people have called her an angel; well, we consider her the "hair goddess." I cut and saved an article about her and her salon, which was written in the O.C. Register. It was a year later that we actually went to see her, and my girls are now in ''hair heaven!" My two girls are biracial and they each have their own unique texture of hair. I have spent tons of money on just about every black and white "fizz ease" hair product out there. I have tried numerous salons and hairdressers, all to no avail. Then, by "divine intervention," we enter Nadine's World. She gave each girl a consultation and asked me how I cared for their hair and how often do they go to the salons for conditioning treatments, cuts, etc. I honestly was embarrassed for myself. My 11-year-old had probably been to a salon maybe five times, and my 6-year-old had only been once. (Imagine as an adult woman only going to a hair salon once a year). Shame on me!

The transformation of my girls' hair before and after Nadine's has been marvelous! When my oldest daughter left the salon she was beaming a huge smile, couldn't stop looking at herself, and was trying out all kinds of hair styles--and this was just a few minutes out of the salon to the car! My youngest was looking jealously at her big sister's hair. I told her that in seven more days it would be her turn. For the next six days my little one would wake up every morning and count down to her "hair day!" On day seven she woke up, was dressed and ready to go by 8 a.m.--her hair appointment wasn't until noon. My youngest loved getting her hair rinsed, shampooed, conditioned and clarified. She then spent time under the hair dryer reading magazines. The end result was nothing but magnificent. My daughter could not believe her hair looked like it did! She started cheering herself on in the mirror, flipping and tossing her long, healthy looking hair, no frizz hair all around. As their mother I shared their excitement, but I also had a wait and see attitude: Was this just a passing hair fling or would my daughters get into good relationship with themselves and their hair?

The first day both sisters went to school with their "new dos" turned out to be a very feel-GREAT-about-yourself day! Everyone--teachers, parents, students--noticed and complimented them on their hair. My girls were on cloud nine with their heads held high.

That morning, and every morning since, ALL screaming, crying, and frustration regarding their hair is gone. They follow to the tee exactly what Nadine taught them. They brush their own hair. Most girls probably take this for granted, but this was the first time ever my girls have been able to run a brush through their hair. They style their own hair. Their feel-good, look-good, can-do-good attitude is just so wonderful for them to have on a daily basis. They both wrap their hair every night and put their scarves on because that is what Nadine taught them to do if they want to continue to have their hair look good.

Nadine taught me that their hair care needs to be part of the family budget, that I need to be responsible to take them to get their hair done. We cannot thank Nadine enough. This was such a long overdue experience and we feel immensely grateful to the personal and professional interest that Nadine took in educating all three of us on their hair care.

Nadine is all about educating and getting the word out that hair shouldn't be treated as black hair or white hair, but just simply hair!

-The Robinson Family

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not a Black Thing, It's a Hair Thing

To professonal hair stylists and students: Have you consciously chosen to work ( currently working) in an all-white, all-black, all-asian etc. salon, or a salon whose environment reflects solely your particular ethnicity, race and/or culture? Are all your clients a reflection of your own ethnicity/race? Are you afraid to engage and cultivate a multicultural clientele? I'd love to hear your story and your reasoning if you're willing to share. Being a product of our environment or upbringing does not have to pigeon-hole and limit our capacity to broaden our perspectives. People truly are people, just as "hair is hair," no matter whose head it rests on. What you've experienced can be a timely and valuable lesson for someone else. -"Hair Doc"

A before and after look you just might NEED TOO Enjoy!!.mp4