Skip to main content

Why Sharing Knowledge with Clients Creates a Win/Win

11/17/2010

Dear Nadine,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for everything during our appointment. I am 32 years old, with medium length wavy/curly hair. I have struggled my entire life searching for the right techniques and products to use on my hair. I have gone to so many hair stylists, it’s ridiculous! Every time I have gone, I have struggled with: 1) the inability to cut my hair evenly and 2) a recommendation of a product that is sold in their salon. I have spent so much money on salon products that would supposedly make my hair less frizzy, protect my hair from the heating products, and make my scalp smell good. Before coming to you, I was straightening my hair with a flat iron at the beginning of the week. After about 2 days, my scalp would stink, so I would wash my hair and then wear it up, curly, for the next week. Then I would repeat the process.

When I came in to see you, I was prepared to have a nice hair cut and relaxing day. I was not prepared for all the valuable information, as you probably saw. I was ready to read my magazine and let you do the work to make my hair look fabulous for a couple days. I have been trained to feel this way, because that’s all I have ever experienced.

You surprised me. You explained that I can learn to do what you do and keep my hair looking salon fabulous. I just needed to learn the right “techniques” for my type of hair. I learned that because I was using a cheap shampoo and washing too often, it was creating a build-up in my hair. In addition, I then bought hair “products” like anti-frizz, hair spray, mousse, and serum. All of those contributed to the build-up. You said I didn’t need all those products. I could achieve the look I wanted without all that stuff. I’ve always bought the “cheap” stuff because that is all I could afford. I’ve always wanted to buy the more expensive products, but could never afford them. Well, if I add up the cost of all the after-shampoo products along with the shampoo and conditioner, I was spending a LOT of money!

I went home and finished the products I had on hand so as not to waste and then took myself into a salon and bought a good clarifier. Now, after using the clarifier for 2 weeks, I straighten my hair once a week and my scalp doesn’t smell at all. I wash my hair after 5 days and only then, not because my hair looks, feels or smells dirty, but because I want to wear it curly.

Which brings me to your other recommendations. You stated that my hair gets frizzy because I am not drying it properly and closing the hair cuticle. You said I also needed to purchase an inexpensive hooded dryer from a beauty supply store that has negative and positive ions. When I want to wear my hair curly, I clarify it and then, straight out of the shower, I take small amounts of hair, twist the bottoms and pin them up. I then sit under the dryer for 20 minutes. I take the pins out and I have non-frizzy, curly hair! I don’t put anything in it and I am good the whole day. I went from wearing my hair up when it was curly to showing off my curls, frizz-free.

You have given me the techniques to beautify my hair and I have never been happier with my hair. I am confident (finally) about my hair and I’m spending LESS money than I was when I was purchasing all those products.

I want to give a sincere thank-you to you for teaching me what so many other stylists have failed to do the last 32 years. Keep doing what you are doing, because, believe me, there are a lot of people like me out there that need the help and feel as though they have nowhere to turn.

Sincerely,
Emily

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not a Black Thing, It's a Hair Thing

To professonal hair stylists and students: Have you consciously chosen to work ( currently working) in an all-white, all-black, all-asian etc. salon, or a salon whose environment reflects solely your particular ethnicity, race and/or culture? Are all your clients a reflection of your own ethnicity/race? Are you afraid to engage and cultivate a multicultural clientele? I'd love to hear your story and your reasoning if you're willing to share. Being a product of our environment or upbringing does not have to pigeon-hole and limit our capacity to broaden our perspectives. People truly are people, just as "hair is hair," no matter whose head it rests on. What you've experienced can be a timely and valuable lesson for someone else. -"Hair Doc"

A before and after look you just might NEED TOO Enjoy!!.mp4